We’re suckers for authority. We see someone in a white lab coat, and immediately think they know all the answers. But reality doesn’t typically play out how they say:
Take Amber for example, a featured guest on this episode. She battled chronic pain for years, got prescribed pain pills, and shortly became addicted to them. When she realized she was done taking pain pills, she quit cold turkey. And the next time she went to her doctor—someone she likes as a person, mind you—he told her that quitting pain pills cold turkey could’ve killed her. Well, it didn’t.
And we do this in our own lives too: with therapy, with visits to the doctor, by reading self-help books, and even by scrolling WebMD only to convince ourselves we’re dying.
The truth is, authority isn’t always right. In fact, it tends to be wrong a lot of the time. And this is dangerous because at the end of the day, we’re our own ultimate authority figure.
While it may seem like bad news, it’s not. Because this empowers us to make positive changes by simply questioning authority.
And in this episode, you’ll discover how to do just that to free yourself from addiction, misery, pain, and suffering.
Show Highlights Include
- Why we’re predisposed to believe anything from an authority speaker’s lips (even if its dead wrong and causes more suffering) (5:41)
- The insidious way pain pills promise to make you better for your family (and how to quit them cold turkey when you realize they aren’t serving you) (8:12)
- The “Slippery Slope” reason why pain pills can help you one day, then overwhelm you with addictive tendencies the next (9:22)
- How doctors prescribe you life-changing pills off conclusions from the data, not the data itself (and why understanding this distinction helps you break free from addiction) (12:48)
- The”experience” mindset shift which instantly turns emotions generally considered as bad into fun roller coaster rides (16:11)
- The weird way watching Inglourious Basterds can help you blow up your trauma—for good—in a fiery explosion (18:37)
- The “beyond the Milky Way” secret that unlocks an infinite amount of hope that your addiction is not permanent (20:30)
- How the stories you tell yourself can dupe you into thinking you have full-blown kidney disease (even if you’re perfectly healthy) (24:23)
Need help unlocking mental, emotional, and physical freedom in your life? Grab my new book, Built for Freedom: Adventures Through Stress, Anxiety, Depression, Addiction, Trauma, Pain, and Our Body’s Innate Ability to Leave Them All Behind on Amazon (or Audible) here: https://www.amazon.com/Built-Freedom-Adventures-Depression-Addiction/dp/B0BS79GMYN
Or head over to https://thefreedomspecialist.com/ and book a call where we can look at your unique situation and give you the roadmap you’ve been missing.