Leadership is tricky:
You need to lean on your team, but many leaders make costly mistakes which erode the trust and collaboration throughout their team.
If your team can’t collaborate or forces you to constantly watch over their shoulders, then you’ll never reach your potential as a team, as a business, or as a leader.
That’s the bad news.
The good news?
Caroline Wong, today’s guest, and Forbes-recognized female tech leader, reveals her best-kept leadership secrets.
In this episode, Caroline shares why hiring a team of experts that are smarter and more talented ignites your growth as a team and company. She explains how to invite collaboration in your team (without micromanaging or stepping on anyone’s toes). And she highlights common mistakes new leaders make that “nukes” the trust levels of their team.
In this podcast episode of “Shift Happens,” host Alana Bernal interviews cybersecurity expert and pioneer Caroline Wong. Caroline, who has been recognized in Forbes' list of inspirational female tech leaders, shares her journey in the tech industry and her role as the Chief Strategy Officer at Cobalt. She discusses her leadership philosophy, the importance of energy management, and her dedication to education through LinkedIn Learning courses and her book “Security Metrics: A Beginner's Guide.”
Caroline also emphasizes the value of building a strong network and mentorship in the tech field. You can follow Caroline Wong on LinkedIn and explore her podcast, “Humans of InfoSec,” for more insights and valuable content related to cybersecurity.
Show highlights include:
- The counterintuitive way landing an entry-level job gives you an unfair advantage for leadership roles (1:14)
- Why the best strategic leaders are less skilled than their team (and one ability that compensates your “lack of expertise”) (5:33)
- Having trouble communicating cybersecurity with your board? These resources break down how to translate cyber speech (9:14)
- How having an “Open Door Policy” as a leader encourages collaboration where the A-players in your company are eager to share their expertise (11:12)
- Why always hiring people smarter than you is a cheat code for growth and forming the strongest team possible (11:56)
- The biggest mistake new leaders make when transitioning from a maker role that deprives your team of reaching their highest potential (13:59)
- Why focusing on “Energy Management” instead of time management keeps you creative, driven, and innovative (even when your day devolves into chaos) (16:20)
- The weird way to use your boredom to blossom into a better, more effective leader (18:02)