Bob Whitten is one of the home building industry’s most respected financial & business management consultants. With over 70 recurring clients in over 40 states and 4 Canadian provinces, his firm’s sweet spot is privately held builders doing 20-250 homes per year; although many have grown larger. Join us for a conversation with one of the industry’s most respected financial business management consultants. A lot of people know how to build houses but very few people know how to build good companies.
Show highlights include:
- The “5 Disciplines” that make building a good business easier than building a home (5:42)
- How your business can go belly up even if you have the best systems, fanciest software, and best trucks (7:48)
- How the “pre-construction period” helps you build homes more efficiently and more profitably (9:15)
- The single most important metric for long-term success that has nothing to do with how many houses you build each year (16:59)
- Building or remodeling fewer houses may actually make you more money (17:28)
- One of the biggest risks for custom builders and remodelers is spending too much on overhead and not making enough margin on the jobs we do (14:44)
To get the most out of this podcast, head over to https://buildernuggets.com and join our active community of like-minded builders and remodelers.
If you’d like to learn how Bob’s consulting can help grow your business, send him an email at BWhitten@smaops.com.