Here’s an unfortunate truth about the construction industry: Building a workforce of highly qualified workers is a very difficult task.
It’s even harder finding young kids who decide construction is a better route for them than college — our culture and school systems have brainwashed kids from a young age that college is the only way to succeed. The reality is there are many forms of education, other than college, that can lead to a successful career.
That’s the problem Darren Ash, executive director at The Roc, is trying to solve. In this episode, he explains how to get young kids excited for construction — and how to hire young people for your construction business.
Show highlights include:
- Why a college degree doesn’t cut it in the “new economy” (and 3 things you need to land a high-paying job) (2:35)
- How construction jobs unlock freedom while college tuition may trap you in debt (5:11)
- The counterintuitive reason draconian labor laws hurt young ambitious people the most (and how to get exceptions to these rules) (7:53)
- How tough love builds can build a better company culture (14:50)
- The insidious way schools, and our culture, can brainwash young kids away from profitable opportunities (18:05)
- The “Each One Take One Approach” that helps you find highly qualified construction apprentices for your business (21:00)
To get the most out of this podcast, head over to buildernuggets.com and join our active community of like-minded builders and remodelers.