Merging professional ambition with managing your home life isn’t easy, but I think it’s worth it. While you may constantly have to task-switch between meeting professional goals and meeting the needs of your family, the satisfaction that comes from having a foot in each world runs deep.
The question is – what do we do with the guilt?! Wondering how our professional ambition will affect our kids keeps a lot of working women up at night, and that’s why my guest today decided to investigate.
In this episode, I interview Lara Bazelon: attorney, law professor, and author of the book: Ambitious Like a Mother. Lara and I discuss how we can dance with work-life balance, embrace our ambitions and model for our children what it means to live a truly purposeful life.
Show Highlights Include:
- Why the word ‘ambition’ holds a negative meaning for women (and how looking past that can help you achieve your goals faster) (6:24)
- The three mother-child archetypes (and how they differ in work-home balance) (7:58)
- Why it’s important to model vulnerability as a leader in the workplace (17:44)
- Why the children of working mothers fare slightly better than stay at home mothers (26:51)
- The boring conversations we have to hash out when starting a relationship (instead of going into it blindly) (29:37)
Interested in coaching with Brilliant Balance? Schedule an exploratory call here: www.brilliant-balance.com/schedule
Subscribe to The Brilliant Balance Weekly and we’ll deliver it to your digital doorstep each Tuesday: www.brilliant-balance.com/weekly
Need a few moments of peace? Listen to our free 5-Minute Meditation: www.brilliant-balance.com/breathe/
Follow us on Instagram: www.instagram.com/brilliant_balance
Join our private Facebook Group: www.facebook.com/groups/281949848958057
Check out Lara Bazelon’s website: http://www.larabazelon.com/
Atlantic Article by Lara Bazelon – “The End of Mom Guilt”: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2022/05/working-mom-career-women-guilt/629364/