Bootstrapping is freeing, on the surface. After all, you own the business outright.
But how free are you really if you’re pouring hours into time-wasting tasks just to save a few bucks?
Today’s guest is Hailey Swartz, co-CEO of Actual Veggies. They started out washing and reusing their competitor’s packaging because they couldn’t afford their own.
Now that they’ve taken on VC funding, they’re filling the shelves of health food stores across the nation. In this wide-ranging discussion, you’ll discover how to combine bootstrap philosophy with venture capital – so you can live that free lifestyle you’ve been dreaming of.
Show highlights include:
- Why 10k from Sequoia Capital is better for your business than $1M from some no-name investor (5:07)
- Why raising capital from dozens of VCs gives you a competitive advantage (even if it takes more time to raise the money) (6:07)
- The multi-channel outreach method that almost guarantees your product lands on retail shelves (8:02)
- Why going D2C spells disaster for your profit margins (even though you’re cutting out the middleman) (9:39)
- The “in store activation” method that lets you run profitable advertising campaigns without spending thousands on data analytics (10:28)
- How to turn your next idea into a hit product without insider knowledge or a product development team (13:00)