Most guys see their emotions—both positive and negative—as a sign of weakness and root cause of sabotage. This leads them to take one of two approaches to their emotions:
Either they repress their emotions entirely, fooling themselves into believing everything’s fine when it’s not, causing resentment and passive aggressive behavior. Or they take the opposite approach: Unbridled self-expression of their emotions, which leads to angry outbursts and regret.
Here’s the unfortunate truth:
Both of these approaches to your emotions are toxic. While they might provide some short-term relief, they also come equipped with a world of long-term pain.
The real solution?
Figuring out how to master your emotions, so you control them instead of the other way around. Mastering your emotions doesn't mean you’ll never feel painful emotions—but that you’ll handle these negative feelings in a beneficial way. Both for you and the people around you.
In today’s show, I dispelled the myth about emotional repression and unbridled self-expression. I share 4 techniques you can practice today to gain control over your emotions. And I reveal the 4 “METI” skills to help you master your emotions (even if you’re a pushover to them today).
Tired of your emotions sabotaging your relationships, fulfillment, and joy?
Show Highlights Include:
- The “Emotional Sailboat” secret for steering your feelings towards love, connection, and significance instead of constantly battling against them (1:26)
- Why most people’s first reaction towards negative emotions creates a ticking time-bomb powerful enough to sabotage all the good in your life (and the correct way to handle negative feelings) (2:10)
- Why repressed emotions are like a poison that slowly influences your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors until they explode on you one day (9:36)
- Do you always feel anxious or depressed? Here’s the “Pressure Cooker” reason your repressed emotions might be to blame… (9:55)
- How talking too much or being too funny when you’re around others are warning signs of repressed feelings (12:29)
- 4 cognitive therapy techniques that you can use to get a hold of your emotions and be able to better regulate them (15:56)
- Why the simple act of naming your emotion gives you power over it instead of letting it subconsciously ruin your day (17:59)
- How do you express your emotions to others more effectively? Here’s why the “Interpersonal Influence” method makes this a breeze (19:47)
- Why vomiting your emotions onto your girlfriend or wife will make them secretly start to despise you (20:14)
- The only 4 skills you need to master your emotions (and how you can build each of these 4 skills) (26:23)
Does your neediness, fear, or insecurity sabotage your success with women? Do you feel you may be unlovable? For more than 15 years, I’ve helped thousands of people find confidence, fulfillment, and loving relationships. And I can help you, too. I’m therapist and life coach David Tian, Ph.D. I invite you to check out my free Masterclasses on dating and relationships at https://www.davidtianphd.com/masterclass/ now.
For more about David Tian, go here: https://www.davidtianphd.com/about/
Emotional Mastery is David Tian’s step-by-step system to transform, regulate, and control your emotions… so that you can master yourself, your interactions with others, and your relationships… and live a life worth living. Learn more here: https://www.davidtianphd.com/emotionalmastery