I was still doing bodybuilding competitions when I found Scott Able, and I’ll admit … I was looking to cheat. No, I wasn’t going to take banned substances, and I wasn’t going to hammer any knee-caps, but I was looking to find scientific validation to my desire to incorporate cheat days into my competition diet. Scott actually showed me something even better, and I hired him as my fitness coach. When I did, I set in motion a relationship that would bear fruit in so many ways – one, being core to the success of Newell Strength, and my fitness … nay, life philosophies. So what might these Able-isms offer you? Listen to find out.
Highlights from today’s show:
First, a couple notes on sleep:
– You may need to skip sleeping in, and sleep less if you want to achieve this MOST IMPORTANT aspect when it comes to setting healthy sleep patterns (1:16)
– Did you know drinking alcohol during the day (or evening) does this to your R.E.M. sleep? Hint: it’s not good. (2:11)
– There’s great wisdom in the unconventional … workouts. I share one that’s sort of a “go-to” for me … (2:40)
– Your metabolism isn’t confined to a day. Why understanding this gives you a major boost in reaching fitness goals (4:41)
– Why you’ll rarely ever get what you need, but you’ll almost always get what you want. Do this to shift your exercise and nutrition mindset … (6:40)
– Your training should never be like tracks in a sandhill. Pour the water from different spots for a change. And while you’re at it, deprive yourself of oxygen in your workouts (7:50)
– Need a good coach? Look in the mirror. If you have relationships of any kind, you’re automatically a coach. But don’t fall into this dangerous trap (10:36)
If the chase is wearing you out …
Stop chasing. Every goal you set should be centered around bringing more pleasure and more happiness into your life. This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do hard things, but that those hard things you do should have a purpose that will bring you more of the life you want.
Scott is great at helping people want more out of their training, out of their fitness and out of their lives. I highly recommend you check him out. His website is: www.ScottAble.com. If you get good, actionable advice out of these episodes, give Scott some love as his science-based counter-cultural approach is a foundational aspect to my own approach.
Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this episode. Please leave the show a review on iTunes, and like me on Facebook: facebook.com/KyleNewellFitnessExpert.
Keep it unconventional and look for the bigger picture as you set out win your week! You’re stronger than you know!
If you have show suggestions or an interesting idea you want me to talk about, please contact me at email@example.com or at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also leave a comment or review on today’s show. We love hearing from you!