Nothing can kill an otherwise good relationship as quickly as not having healthy boundaries in place. Without these boundaries, toxic interactions start to infect the relationship. Over time, resentment builds as the relationship becomes unbalanced and draining.
The problem is, setting healthy boundaries is a difficult task, especially if you struggle with being assertive. You want to have empathy for your partner, and boundaries seem like a selfish short-cut. But this is a myth.
In fact, setting healthy boundaries is a selfless act: It tells your partner that while you’re there to support her, you respect her enough to allow her autonomy over her own actions, decisions, and emotions.
In this episode, you’ll discover how healthy boundaries save relationships from devolving into resentment and codependency, how to set healthy boundaries (even if you’re not naturally assertive), and simple ways to become more assertive.
Show Highlights Include:
- The single best way to prevent toxic interactions from infecting your relationships (0:43)
- Why setting healthy boundaries doesn’t mean you’re being selfish or narcissistic (even if this is your gut reaction) (2:56)
- The counterintuitive way wanting to fix someone’s negative emotions is a form of toxic manipulation that strains even the healthiest relationships (3:56)
- Want to help your partner without crossing toxic boundaries? Try saying this to them when they’re down… (6:23)
- The insidious “enmeshing” problem that trips up a lot of guys and dupes them into sabotaging their relationship (and the easiest way to avoid this costly mistake) (9:30)
- Do you struggle with setting healthy boundaries with your partner? Reading this book will end your struggles (11:59)
- How to tell the difference between aggressiveness and assertiveness so you become comfortable with asserting your needs (without coming across like a jerk) (14:36)
Does your neediness, fear, or insecurity sabotage your success with women? Do you feel you may be unlovable? For more than 15 years, I’ve helped thousands of people find confidence, fulfillment, and loving relationships. And I can help you, too. I’m therapist and life coach David Tian, Ph.D. I invite you to take this quick quiz to access my free Masterclasses on dating and relationships at https://dtphd.com/quiz now.
For more about David Tian, go here:
Emotional Mastery is David Tian’s step-by-step system to transform, regulate, and control your emotions… so that you can master yourself, your interactions with others, and your relationships… and live a life worth living. Learn more here: https://www.davidtianphd.com/emotionalmastery