The number of factors that dementia caregivers have to consider is huge. Things get even more complicated when you are trying to provide the best care for a family member who is suffering. Add to this the fact that every dementia case and patient is different, and you may find yourself overwhelmed.
In this episode, Dave and dementia author and care expert Patty Green discuss how to overcome fear as a caregiver, and how to choose a care strategy that benefits you and your loved one.
Here Are The Show Highlights:
- How to overcome the #1 fear of caregivers (2:54)
- The shocking impact music can have on those suffering from dementia and how to harness that power (4:49)
- Dementia or forgetfulness? How to tell the difference (5:27)
- Skilled caregiver strategies that prevent your family from being torn apart by dementia care needs(6:58)
- The single most important skill a caregiver can have for handling the changing nature of dementia symptoms (without losing heart) (8:00)
- How to assess the available care options to minimize the suffering of a loved one (8:56)
- The crucial first step you must take before deciding on a care strategy, or you may be putting your loved one and yourself at risk (9:35)
- Easy to do activities that can dramatically improve the quality of life of dementia patients (13:19)
- A three-step process for overcoming the most common fears of caregivers (15:33)
- Why advice from other caregivers can be harmful to your loved one, and what you need to know instead (18:03)
For daily 5-minute mind exercises, head over and like my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/hcafortworth/